Tuesday, February 16, 2016

Mirror, Mirror on the Wall - NOT!

You may have noticed in my previous post that my light fixture and mirror are not up yet.

I have had a hard time trying to find the right mirror for this bathroom reno.

Originally there was a builder's plate glass mirror in this space and I added a dark brown trim frame to it a few years ago during a "refresh".
If you want to know how to do this click HERE to see examples.


I didn't want to keep that mirror - the new vanity was going to be taller and that mirror wouldn't work.

Also I wanted something more stylish.

I thought that I had found the perfect mirror here (from Home Sense $199).



It was a heavy frame and the paint finish mimicked the floor tile (like driftwood).

I measured it so many times and it looked like it was going to be perfect...until the new vanity & countertop were installed.


The vanity turned out to be taller (35 1/2") than what I was expecting (34") so the mirror was 1/2 inch too tall.

Also, I wanted my light fixture to face down and the thick mirror frame (3" depth) was not going to clear the glass globes.





I considered getting another plate glass mirror but couldn't decide if it should be below the light fixture like this.


Include the light fixture like this (the shower glass company quoted me $225 for a mirror for my space).



Or go to the ceiling like this.


In the end, I found a mirror at Home Depot for $80.
It is the right size (taped it out on the wall) and the frame is thinner (depth) so I can have the light fixture the way I want it.



I know that the finish is not quite right (it's a warmer metallic) but I'm not afraid to paint it (to a cooler metallic) if it's too awful after I get it up.

 Until next time...
Marie

1 comment: